Sunday, October 30, 2011
In Case You Can't Tell I'm Chinese: Spam Fried Rice
What do you do when you have nothing in the fridge except a bunch of random shit? Fry it with rice and call it lunch.
Spam Fried Rice
Spam - half a can, diced in 1 cm cubes
Red Onion - half a huge one, also diced
Ginger - table spoon, grated
Cilantro - two tablespoons (as much as you have? No such thing as too much cilantro!)
Egg - two large (I thought I only needed one hence the picture), mix
Rice - one and a half cups uncooked (you should cook the rice and leave in fridge overnight)
Note: Leftover rice is harder and have less water so it's easier to fry and won't stick to each other as much which is ideal for fried rice!
1. Using an non-stick pan (no need to show off but if you do use a regular pan you should use more oil), heat oil at medium high heat
2. When oil is heated (should be more liquidy, less viscous) add the onion and ginger. Add a little salt. Using a spatula, be sure to mix the vegetables quickly so they don't burn. Stir for ten seconds then add the spam. When the onions are cooked, and the spam have some colour to it, put aside.
3. Add a bit more oil and put the eggs in, scrambling them. When eggs are almost done put aside.
4. Add oil and fry the rice. A small pinch of salt.
5. When rice is throughly heated and is well lubricated (teehee, but anyways most of them shouldn't stick together), add the vegetables and eggs and mix until it looks evenly distributed.
6. Add soy sauce or other sauces (I added some vinegar as well) to your liking
7. Turn off the heat and add the cilantro.
Note: A small pinch = a pinch with your thumb and index finger. Regular pinch = thumb and index and middle finger.