Monday, April 26, 2010

Wow, It's Only Been Two Days Since I Last Posted!

I love outdoor barbecue. You get to enjoy the ocean and the beach sand while waving a stick with meat around charcoal with your friends. For some reason my Chinese parents liked to put honey on a lot of their meats, especially chicken wings and it makes sense. I didn't realize it was weird till later when I can't find it in Canada at all. The closest is honey garlic chicken wings but those were deep fried and just not it. So I resorted to make it myself and it's really simple. I used the same method with my chicken thighs since they were on sale!

Photobucket

Honey Glazed Chicken With Balsamic Zucchini
Servings: 2

Ingredients
Chicken thighs - 4
Soy sauce - 250ml (1 cup)
Honey - 55 ml (about 3 1/2 tablespoons)
Butter - 20g
Zuccini - 300g (I reduced the amount from the picture, that was way too much zucchini)
Oil - 15 ml (1 table spoon)
Balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper - to taste

Instructions

Photobucket

Chicken
1. Add chicken to bowl (preferred) or plastic bag Brine chicken with a tablespoon of honey and enough soy sauce to cover the chicken halfway, brine for an hour, flipping the chicken once after half an hour
2. Turn oven to 350
3. Rub the thighs with the oil and put in oven on the middle rack, skin face down
4. Heat up honey in the microwave, mix with a little bit of soy sauce (not the ones that touched the chicken), it should be a bit sweeter than your like
5. Brush the honey mixture on the chicken, brush generously
6. After 10 minutes, flip the thighs and then brush the honey on the skin
7. After 10 minutes, brush again and move the chicken to the top rack till done (10 more minutes)

Note: I don't really want to give a time to when the chicken is done cause all ovens are different. I say you should use a thermometer to make sure the chicken is at 163 degrees Fahrenheit so the carry over heat will cook it to 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You could also tell when the meat is quite firm but gives in. If the meat is stringy you overcooked it.

Photobucket

Zucchini
1. Cut zucchini in quarter slices
2. Melt butter at medium high heat
3. Once butter is melted and starts getting a bit blubbly,add the zucchini and salt
4. Season with pepper after almost done cooking
5. Add vinegar

I really like how the sweetness of the honey and the saltiness of the chicken and soy sauce really balances out and work together. Also balsamic vinegar really makes the zucchini tastes more refreshing!

http://joyciel.livejournal.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment